Power and Function
THE POWERS OF DISTRICT COUNCIL
Under the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution of India, the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council is vested with two types of Powers. These are
- Legislative Power
- Executive Power.
THE LEGISLATIVE POWER
The Legislative Department of the District Council is headed by the Chairman who summons the meeting of the Council time to time in connection with approval of budget, discussion on bills, rules and regulations submitted by the treasury bench and passing of the same thereof.
The Council consists of 30 members out of which 28 members are elected by adult franchise and 2 members are nominated by the Governor of Tripura.
The Chairman has his own Secretariat headed by the Secretary to the District Council.
The name of the constituencies i.e. total 30 members out of which are elected by adult franchise and 2 members are as follows :
Sl No. Name of Constituency Category of Constituency
1. Dhamcharra-Jampui (ST)
2. Machamara Unreserved
3. Dasda-Kanchanpur Unreserved
4. Karamchara (ST)
5. Chaumanu (ST)
6. Manu-Chailengta Unreserved
7. Damcharra-Kachucharra (ST)
8. Ganganagar-Gandacharra (ST)
9. Halahari-Ashrambari (ST)
10. Kulai-Champahaour (ST)
11. Maharani-Teliamura (ST)
12. Ramchandraghat (ST)
13. Simna-Tamakari (ST)
14. Budhjongnagar-Wakhinagar (ST)
15. Jirania (ST)
16. Mandainagar-Pulinpur (ST)
17. Pekuarjala-Jonmejoynagar (ST)
18. Takarjala-Jampuijala (ST)
19. Amtali-Golaghati (ST)
20. Killa-Bagma (ST)
21. Maharani-Chelagang (ST)
22. Kathalia-Mirza Rajpur (ST)
23. Ampinagar (ST)
24. Raimavalley (ST)
25. Natunbazar-Malbasa (ST)
26. Birchandranagar-Kalshi (ST)
27. Purba Muhuripur (ST)
28. Silachari-Manubankul (ST)
29. Nominated Member ( From Minority Group)
30 Nominated Member ( From Minority Group)
The Executive Powers are vested with the Executive Committee which is headed by the Chief Executive Member who is elected from among the Treasury Bench members.
The Sixth Schedule to the Constitution of India provides ample powers to the District Council for self-governance of the tribal population of the state. The District Council has its own powers to appoint its own staff in terms of requirement and appointment rules. The council administration is headed by the Chief Executive Officer who is normally an IAS Officer and assisted by an Additional Chief Executive Officer and a Deputy Chief Executive Officer of TCS Grade – I and 6 Executive Officers, such as, Administration, Finance, Rural Development, Planning, Development and Coordination etc.
There are different departments headed by a Principal Officer as the departmental head . The departments are 1. Agriculture, 2. Animal Husbandry, 3. BADP 4. Co-operation 5. Education (School & Social Education), 6. Fisheries 7. Forest, 8. Health and Family Welfare, 9. Industry, 10.Kokborok, Indigenous Languages Research 11.Land Records and Settlement, 12. Law, 13. TCP & YP 14. Tribal Welfare 15. Village Committee etc. The Public Works Department is manned by the Superintending Engineer.
There are 5(five Zonal Development Offices along with 37 Sub-Zonal Development Offices are existence for looking after the development works of Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council areas. There are also Zonal Advisory Committee having one Chairman and other eight Members of the Committee in each zone. The Zonal Development Offices and Sub-Zonal Offices are as follows :
Sl. No. Name of Zone Headquarter
1. West Zone Khumulwng, West Tripura
2. South Zone Birchandra Manu, South Tripura
3. Gandacharra Zone Gandacharra, Dhalai Tripura
4. North Zone Machmara, North Tripura
5. Dhalai Zone Manughat, Dhalai Tripura
37(Thirty even) numbers Sub-Zonal Development Offices are follows :
1. Khumulwng 2. Mandai 3. Baijalbari
4. Mugiakami 5. Uatloktwithu 6. M.C.Para
7. Bishramganj 8. Takarjala 9. Bachaibari
10. Mohanbhog 11. East Manu 12. Garjee
13. East Pilak 14. Kaladepa 15. Manubankul
16. Silachari 17. Chelagangmukh 18. Dalak
19. Chechua 20. Killa 21. Gandacharra
22. Raisyabari 23. Gonganagar 24. Sikaribari
25. Dumacharra 26. Maharani 27. Damcharra
28. Anandabazar 29. Vangmun 30. Kanchanpur
31. Noagang 32. Machmara 33. Kumarghat
34. Chaumanu 35. 82 Miles 36. Manughat
37. Joyganti (Rajkandi)
The Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council Headquarter is situated in 23 kms from Agartala, the state capital of Tripura and the 3 kms south far from the 44 National Highway. The name of the TTAADC headquarter is Khumulwng which was shifted from Agartala on August 23,1992 having a picture shake for the ideal tourist spot.
The development programme of the Council is presently implemented by the 5 Zonal Development Offices and 37 Sub-Zonal Development Offices within the TTAADC areas. The development programme of the Council is presently implemented by the 5 Zonal Development Offices and 37 Sub-Zonal Development Offices within the TTAADC areas.